As we are becoming a more progressive age with great speed, the biggest problem our society faces today is the issue of homeless people. The number of people with no permanent or appropriate housing facilities is alarmingly increasing. Matthew Davies believes that it is our responsibility as social beings to solve the problem of homelessness. It would help our society to advance even further.
Here are some ways to solve the homeless problem:
1. Providing basic housing facilities - Homeless people are struggling to make ends meet and struggle to survive each day. Therefore, it is essential to first identify them and then provide them with independent and permanent housing facilities. Once this is done, gradual support of services that they require can be provided to them. The feeling of being safe and secure fills the homeless people with new positive energy and they work effortlessly towards the betterment of the society.
2. Availability of housing support - It is essential to provide housing support to these homeless people apart from just a roof over their heads. As one of the major causes of homelessness is poverty and lack of employment, clinical support is much required. A homeless person should get clinical support designed for their well-being, to improve the quality of life, and to look after any of their psychological and addiction issues.
3. Additional support - In order to go ahead with their lives, homeless people should be trained in some life skills or vocational courses according to their capability and talent. Basic education facilities for the entire family can make them be prepared to face the challenges of society. Assistance with employment, income support, and encouraging them to be a part of any social activity are just a few things that will enhance their all-round development.
4. Steps for prevention - A check should be there to see that people are not experiencing homelessness and even if they do, it should be solved and looked after right at the initial stage instead of waiting till it blows out of proportion and becomes difficult to handle. Policies and practices must be developed to make this prevention framework work and understand the root cause of this problem. Once the root cause is addressed, the whole issue can be solved more easily.
5. Individual support - A mass request can be made to individuals to come and support the preventive framework to the best of their capacity. Each drop in an ocean count. One can donate money or resources to local organizations that are helping homeless people. They can even be a part of such organizations and offer their services voluntarily. Homeless people are always in need to know their legal status and rights. So, people with a legal background can come forward and help them too. During winters, they should be relocated to warmer centers or donated blankets.
Matthew Davies believes that the proper availability of safe and permanent housing is a prerequisite to ending homelessness in the long run. We might not see immediate results, but such steps will contribute to end this chronic problem and reduce the likelihood of more people suffering from this problem in the future.