Constantly scrolling through social media platforms, doing someone else’s task at work, and striving for perfectionism may at first appear benign, but they can destroy your self-esteem on becoming an integral part of your daily life. The following write-up explores major confidence killers along with ways of how you can get rid of them in a short period. Please check it out now.
1. The tone you use to talk to yourself can make you underconfident, so make sure to pay proper attention to it. “I am ugly,” “I have gained weight,” “Look at those pimples on my face,” “I will never be able to get a promotion,” “My friends hate me, etc. are negative comments that over time cause depression and anxiety. Accept yourself, including your body, mind, and nature, before trying to make any sort of improvement.
2. Suppose you missed a deadline, and the following day, you have to go and explain the situation to your boss and colleagues. How would you enter the office? You would naturally not feel quite confident, right? Procrastination can not only hurt your self-esteem, but you lose control over your existence and become insecure. To get rid of this habit, always make a checklist. Never allow your mind to miss an assignment.
3. No matter what the popular belief is, perfectionism does not allow you to accomplish your goals. Setting unrealistic expectations often paves the way for disappointment, dissatisfaction, and failure. When you strive for perfectionism, you push your limits to a great extent and become excessively critical of your skills. Hitting the submit button is believed to be more effective than spending unproductive hours trying to perfect something.
4. Owing to the internet, everyone’s life has become public, and the tendency to compare yourself to others has increased. But, you must understand, not everything you see online is true. Instead of seeing how your friend’s life is better than yours, you should focus on the wide range of things you have. Self-esteem is all about knowing your worth and accepting that everyone is different but not superior. You may not have enough Instagram followers, but does that make you less of a person? No!
5. Saying yes to everything and trying to please everyone is known for hampering confidence because it stops you from asserting your opinions. You must stand for what you believe in rather than agreeing with others always. The real risk of this particular habit is that people end up leading a life based on somebody else’s validation. Always prioritize your needs and show some guts to say no to activities and things that do not interest you.
Identifying the habits stated above and breaking them allow you to increase your self-esteem in a seamless manner. If you feel them going way beyond your control, please consider undertaking confidence therapy.
Apart from a comprehensive background check, please lookout for the following traits in a practitioner- empathy, curiosity, creativity, and capacity to maintain confidentiality under all circumstances.